Workstation for the blind and visually impaired
We offer a workstation for the blind and visually impaired. It is located on the ground floor of the TIB Conti Campus site.
The workstation enables you to
- scan printed material,
- acoustically reproduce texts via synthesised speech,
- read texts in braille using a braille keyboard,
- print out texts using a braille printer or in ordinary print,
- search the internet,
- work using the word processing programme MS Word 2003 or TeXstudio,
- write texts on a mechanical braille typesetting machine,
- have content displayed on the screen in a large format using Magic software,
- work with a 32-inch screen reader, which magnifies texts and reads them aloud if desired.
The workstation is available to all blind and visually impaired members of a higher education institution in Hannover. Where possible, blind and visually impaired users of other libraries in Hannover may also use the workstation.
Following a brief introduction on how to use the devices and on organisational procedures, the workstation is accessible at all times during the library's opening hours. Please register in order to be given an introduction. We will also be happy to offer introductions to searching catalogues and databases; computer skills are not taught.
The workstation needs to be reserved. Due to the strong demand, it can only be reserved by the hour or day. Please vacate the workstation after each session. The work room can be reserved by calling +49 511 762 8119.
Another service for blind and visually impaired students at Leibniz Universität Hannover is the Faculty of Law's reading service for the blind. In addition to the classic "reading aloud" of academic texts for recording onto digital sound carriers, the service also includes the digital processing of content that is not yet available digitally.