The second national DEAL contract enables LUH researchers to publish research results in Open Access by default - at no personal cost.
The contract comes into force retroactively as of 1 January 2020. It initially runs until December 2022.
- As of 1 January 2020, you will publish your articles in most Springer Nature journals in open access without incurring any personal costs.
- TIB will settle the costs centrally.
- Open Access will become the standard for authors at LUH - without any further effort, you continue to publish as usual.
The contract covers both the publisher's hybrid journals and the genuine Open Access journals.
However, please note the different launch dates.
- Start date for hybrid journals ("Open Choice"): 1 January 2020
- Start date for fully open access journals: 1 August 2020
The date of the online publication is decisive ("Online Publication Date").
A list of journals can be found here (XLSX).
- You are a researcher at Leibniz Universität Hannover and submit the paper as the responsible Corresponding Author.
- You must clearly indicate your institutional affiliation when submitting your paper.
- Your article is one of the following article types:
- In hybrid journals ("Open Choice"): original paper, review paper, letter communication, editorial notes, book reviews, letters, reports.
- In Open Access journals ("Fully Open Access"): Original Paper, Review Paper, Brief Communication
- In specialist medical journals ("Facharztzeitschrift"): Original Paper, Review Paper, Brief Communication
Springer Nature is currently still setting up the necessary instruments to ensure smooth processing. Therefore no detailed information on the process is available yet.
In principle, however, the procedure follows the following scheme:
- as soon as your article has been accepted for publication, you confirm your affiliation. Please make sure that Leibniz Universität Hannover has been selected without any doubt.
- the TIB will now be informed about your article and asked to confirm that it will accept the costs.
- as soon as the assumption of costs has been approved, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail. This takes a maximum of five days. If payment has been refused, you will also be informed by e-mail.
Please note that the regulation for OA-only journals will only come into force on 1 August 2020.
Please contact us if you have any problems with your submission.
Possibly there is no error. The publisher holds some journals that do not offer an Open Access option ("subscription only"). Furthermore, articles in the approximately 70 Springer Nature specialist journals are only eligible for funding if they are of the "research article" type and have not been requested.
The costs are also then paid centrally by the TIB on the basis of special funds which LUH makes available specifically for this purpose and for a limited period. Both institutions thus recognize the special significance of this contract for the German science landscape. Nevertheless, the TIB reaffirms the importance of uniform and sustainable cost ceilings for Article Processing Charges.
Yes, if you are one of the approximately 700 scientific institutions listed here (Project DEAL Institutions), you can publish in Open Access by default at no personal cost. The national contract allows you to do so regardless of whether your institution participates in the contract or not. However, other institutions will then have to bear the costs.
For your own planning security, please check, however, whether your institution has signed the contract, in particular what arrangements have been made locally for the transfer of APCs from the pure OA journals ("Fully Open Access") (central transfer or subsequent reallocation).