The TIB has been committed to Open Access in a variety of ways for many years:
- The TIB helps to finance articles in OA journals and operates publication funds for Leibniz Universität Hannover and the Leibniz Association, through which the article fees can be paid.
- The TIB operates the Leibniz Universität Hannover's institutional repository for first and second publications by members of the LUH and supports the Leibniz institutions in Sections D and E in publishing via LeibnizOpen
- The TIB operates an open access platform on which scientific journals and conference publications can be published
- The TIB provides advice and information on all aspects of Open Access, both in on-site events and online
- In its own Open Access policy, the TIB is committed to Open Access and expects its staff to publish their research results and publications in accordance with the Open Access principle.
- The TIB supports arXiv and SCOAP³
- The TIB negotiates Open Access conditions in publishing contracts and participates in the DEAL contracts with Wiley and Springer
- The TIB supports the transformation initiative OA2020
- The TIB networks nationally (e.g. in the Leibniz Association or TU9) and internationally (e.g. in CESAER) in the field of Open Access
- The TIB has been awarded the Open Library Badge 2016 for its efforts towards greater openness in science and society.
The TIB again received an award as an open library: It received the Open Library Badge 2020.