The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) has been successfully consulting, researching and developing research information systems for several years, especially in the context of making research results visible and networking them. Since 2013, the TIB has been involved in the worldwide community for the development and dissemination of VIVO, an open source software for displaying networked researcher profiles on the Internet. VIVO is used for the presentation of scientific outputs, for network analysis, for research reporting and as an expert finder system. The consistent focus on linked data, open standards and ontologies makes VIVO a flexible solution for a wide range of applications. While VIVO has been used internationally for many years by numerous institutions, including some of the most renowned universities in the USA, it is now also meeting with increasing interest in German-speaking countries.
The activities of the TIB include the organization and hosting of the German-language VIVO workshops, but also numerous development activities around VIVO and the core data set research, the development of which we have been accompanying since 2014. We are also working nationally and internationally on the further development of the software and the ontologies used in VIVO. One of our main goals is to establish VIVO as a research information system in German-speaking countries.
Own developments (selection)
- Advanced Role Management
- Increased security through password hashing with Argon2i
- Implementation of the Research Core Dataset (KDSF) for VIVO
- Collaboration on the German translation of VIVO, as well as on the VIVO-DE ontology extension
- Duraspace membership of the Technical Information Library since 2017
- Cooperation in numerous committees in the CRIS community (including VIVO Leadership Group, Crossref Event Data Advisory Group), in various VIVO task forces (Ontology Improvement, Research Analytics etc.) and participation in international development sprints
- Organisation of German VIVO workshops since 2015
Links and information
- VIVO-Workshop 2018
- Mailinglist VIVO-DE
- Github repository of the German-speaking VIVO community VIVO-DE
Projects and publications (selection)
- TIB-FIS-Discovery - Development of a discovery system for the research information of the TIB based on the KDSF-VIVO implementation at the TIB to present the TIB's own research activities.
- ROSI - Reference Implementation for Open Scientometric Information (BMBF)
- DEFF Opera - Research Partner in the project Open Research Analytics (Opera) of the Danish University of Technology
- Taming the wilderness of open research information (2014)
- The Quest for Research Information (2014)
- Research information systems in universities and research institutions. Position paper. (2016)
- Requirements on Research Information Systems in Germany by Researchers and Research Administration - Summary of two studies (2018)
- Mapping of data to VIVO ontology and VIVO KDSF extension
- Support for the development of local ontologies for research information
- Integration of controlled vocabularies
- Testing of current VIVO systems on TIB's own and third-party systems
- Cooperative research and development projects in the VIVO environment
All services require prior consultation.