Founded in 1959 as the German National Library of Science and Technology (Deutsche Zentrale Fachbibliothek für Technik und Naturwissenschaften – TIB), the TIB had eight employees. Today, 60 years later, 555 employees from 24 nations work at the library, which since 2016 has been called TIB – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology and University Library.
Six decades of the TIB – a great opportunity to invite all those interested to an open day at the TIB Science/Technology (Technik/Naturwissenschaften) site. On 14 November 2019, from 09:00 to 22:00, the TIB offers a colourful program and shows that it is more than just a library: it is not only the world's largest library for science and technology, but is also further expanding its role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology with the constantly growing field of research and development.
Guided Tours, Coffee Lectures, Digital Salon and Training Info Day
Several guided tours give visitors a glimpse behind the scenes of the library and learn about its history. The 15-minute coffee lectures are devoted to a wide variety of topics: from the history of the library and research at the TIB to the TIB's AV-Portal – a YouTube for science.
The TIB trainees and trainers provide information about the training opportunities at the TIB from 13:00 to 18:00. Anyone interested in the professions of "Media and Information Service Specialist" and "Bookbinder" can find out here how training at the TIB takes place and they can even bring their application with them. In the Digital Salon, Prof. Dr. Ralph Ewerth's Research Group Visual Analytics will be presenting its research findings on the subject of videos in science from 17:00 to 18:00.
Quiz against a computer, book flea market and exhibition on grey literature
All day long, visitors can buy books at a bargain price that have been used up at the book flea market, find out about grey literature in an exhibition – publications that are not available in bookstores and are therefore often difficult to obtain – and at the exhibit "Man versus Machine: Where Are We?” they can compete against a computer and appreciate the location of photos.
- 10:00 to 11:00: Guided tour "A look behind the scenes at the TIB" (in German)
- 10:00 to 10:15: Coffee Lecture "A Short History of the TIB" (in German)
- 11:00 to 11:15: Coffee Lecture "From the Old Cafeteria to the TIB Social Sciences" (in German)
- 12:00 to 13:00: Guided tour "A look behind the scenes at the TIB" (in German)
- 13:00 to 13:15: Coffee Lecture "Text Sprints: 8 experts*, 4 days = 1 book" (in German)
- 13:00 to 18:00: Training information day 2019: We present our training occupations "Media and Information Service Specialist" and "Bookbinder"
- 14:00 to 15:00: Guided tour "Highlights of 60 years of TIB" – a tour of the Welfengarten site (in German)
- 15:00 to 15:15: Coffee Lecture "TIB AV-Portal – a YouTube for Science" (in German)
- 16:00 to 17:00: Guided tour "A look behind the scenes of the TIB" (in German)
- 17:00 to 18:00: Digital Salon "Videos in Science – Showcase of the TIB Research Group Visual Analytics" (in German)
To the program (PDF)