TIB attaches great importance to equal opportunities for women and men. The library supports the Leibniz Association's objectives concerning equal opportunities for women and men, as well as the DFG's Research-Oriented Standards on Gender Equality, and takes action to implement them. TIB offers its employees numerous options for personalised working arrangements in a bid to reconcile career interests and family life, embrace individual life circumstances and ensure that caring and other tasks outside the workplace can be performed:
- Various working time models (such as part-time) and very flexible working hours
- Alternating telework as a regular working time model
- Mobile work, home office
- The use of various offers provided by Leibniz Universität Hannover, such as back-up childcare and holiday childcare
- Opportunities for further training and education during a period of leave
- Assistance in resuming a career following a period of leave
Equal opportunities and gender aspects are implemented as a management task at all management levels and in all decision-making processes related to organisational development. TIB's gender-balanced working environment promotes job satisfaction and lays the foundation for employees' skills-oriented advancement, securing the library's performance capability.
Increasing the proportion of women
A further objective is to increase the number of women at all academic career levels. In 2014, a total of 68 percent of TIB employees were women; 39 per cent of management positions were held by women.
TOTAL E-QUALITY Award
In 2016, the library received the TOTAL E-QUALITY Award – as the only library in Germany – for the fifth time running for its exemplary implementation of gender equality measures, its excellent conditions for the reconciliation of career interests and family life and the way in which it embraces equal opportunities.