As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development is looking to employ several
Research Software Engineers (m/f/d)
to join the Data Science & Digital Libraries Research Group (Prof. Dr. Sören Auer) at the earliest possible opportunity.
The positions are initially limited to three years with envisioned extension. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The positions are only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. The remuneration is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
We are looking for several Research Software Engineers to work in the TIB Research & Development Department. The candidate’s competence area should be squarely rooted in software engineering, you should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative software systems and be interested in mastering complex challenges. You will be responsible to develop innovative and mature information services for the TIB stakeholders in Science and Technology, in particular in the context of German National Research Data Infrastructure initiatives (NFDI) and the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
Possible work areas include (but are not limited to)
- Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) Management - requires good knowledge of semantic data management technologies
- Scientific Data Management - Semantic Data Lakes for Science - requires demonstrated, rigorous knowledge of data management (relational databases, SQL, graph databases, XML)
- Research Data Containers - requires demonstrated, rigorous knowledge of data management and virtualization techniques (Docker)
- Semantic Scholarly Communication and Metadata - requires good knowledge of semantic knowledge representation
- Exploration & Search of Scholarly Metadata - requires human-computer interaction, information visualization and retrieval expertise
The ideal candidate holds a Master degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field of study and is able to combine theoretical and practical aspects in his/her work. A doctoral degree is a plus. Furthermore we expect:
- Proficiency in spoken and written English; proficiency in German is a plus
- Proven experience in software development in a team
- Familiarity with Semantic Technologies, Data Management, Human-Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics or Digital Libraries is an asset
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world's leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- Work in the context of a national, European or international research and innovation projects
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-oriented field of activity
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Prof. Dr. Sören Auer, Director of TIB and head of the TIB research department, by mail at Auertibeu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 42/2021 before July 6, 2021 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbungtibeu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology.
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.