As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the
infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area A, being Content Development and Metadata, is looking to employ a
Digital Preservation Staff for University / TIB-archive materials (m/f/d)
The position is unlimited. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is conditionally suitable for part-time work. The remuneration is based on pay scale group up to pay scale group 13 TV-L, depending on the qualifications.
- Participation in the determination and evaluation of digital data available in the archive holdings as well as data offered to the archive for acquisition
- Preparation of recommendations for transfer procedures between the university/TIB and the archive of the TIB/Universitätsarchiv Hannover as well as for inclusion in the digital long-term archive
- consultative participation in the introduction of electronic file management systems/document management systems
- Modeling and implementation of processes for the transfer of digital data to the archive of the TIB/Universitätsarchiv Hannover
- Modeling and implementation of processes for an organizational and technical interface between the archive of the TIB/Universitätsarchiv Hannover and the digital long-term archive
- Analysis of digital data collections with regard to their file formats and risks as well as handling of faulty files in pre-ingest
- independent development and implementation of scripts to support all outlined tasks
- Creation and implementation of policies for all outlined tasks
- Collaboration in national and international networks
- successfully completed university (academic) degree (Bachelor/Master/Diploma/Magister), preferably in a relevant field of study such as archives, library, information sciences, library informatics, digital humanities or in another field and several years of professional experience in a field relevant to the call for applications
- Experience with digital acquisition and transfer digital processes, born-digital as well as retro-digitized holdings into a long-term archive
- Experience in dealing with file formats in the context of digital preservation, especially with regard to analysis of defective files
- very good knowledge of digital preservation processes and standards (OAIS, lifecycle models)
- in-depth knowledge of relevant (long-term) archiving metadata standards such as EAD, ISAD(G), METS, Dublin Core, PREMIS, XDOMEA
- independent, goal- and solution-oriented approach with proven implementation skills
- English language skills, both written and spoken
Desirable additions to your profile
- Knowledge of a scripting language (Bash, Perl, Python, or similar)
- Experience in working with a long-term archiving system (Rosetta or similar)
- Experience in creating and evaluating XML-based files
- Experience in the creation of preservation policies
What we offer
- a modern workplace in a central location of Hannover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- comprehensive and intensive training
- flexible working time models (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work and remote work options
- an employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Micky Lindlar by telephone on +49 (0)511 762-19826 or by mail at michelle.lindlartibeu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 11/2023 before March 15, 2023 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Frau Lilli Stickel
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbungtibeu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
In the case of foreign university degrees, it is mandatory to submit a Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) for the final assessment of the hiring requirements during the hiring process (link for more information). A fee will be charged for this. This obligation does not apply if the foreign university degree has already been assessed by an expert and is listed in the ANABIN database of the ZAB as an equivalent university degree (link to ANABIN database).
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 600 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature
- carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
- offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.
View this job advertisement as a PDF.