As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Software Engineer in the field of Data Science and Research Data Management (m/f/d)
to work in the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge of the TIB Research and Development department and the L3S Research Center under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Sören Auer and Dr.-Ing. Felix Engel.
The position is initially limited until the end of the project period on September 30, 2023 with envisioned extension. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. The remuneration is based up to pay scale group 13 TV-L, depending on the applicant's qualifications and depending on the assigned tasks and responsibilities.
You will work in a team to build a large-scale and web based information system for the field of supply chain management in the semiconductor industry. It is a multi-national project funded by the European Union (EU) that involves many big industrial manufacturers aiming at representing their processes and data in an innovative information system (More information on the project).
Your tasks will focus on
Your main duties will be focused around the agile development of a web based collaborative metadata validation and development framework, in consultation with the international project partners. This includes a broad range of tasks from development, deployment of frontend and backend services for the orchestration of different tasks related to metadata analysis, integration, alignment and harmonization. On the backend side your work will involve specifically the analysis and validation of newly created metadata schemas besides indexing retrieval, and maintenance. On the frontend side you are expected to be able to work on innovative visualisation and user interaction techniques.
Your competence area should be squarely rooted in data science and software engineering or related fields. You should be able to work in an international team, think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative software systems and be interested in mastering complex challenges.
The following qualifications are mandatory
- Successfully completed university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant field of study such as Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics or a comparable field of study
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Proven team software development skills
- Solid experiences in developing and deploying scalable web services using Docker, Python (Flask) and Node.js
Desirable qualifications and familiarity and interest in
- Information Systems, Data and Knowledge Management
- Information Integration
- Data Science
- Web Engineering
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to get in contact with many multinational big industrial manufacturers besides exceptional opportunities for your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world's leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- Work in the context of a multinational, European research and innovation project
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work and remote work options
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Dr.-Ing. Felix Engel by mail at felix.engeltibeu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application. Please enclose a letter of recommendation and a motivational statement with your application.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 2/2022 before February 08, 2022 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbungtibeu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
In the case of foreign university degrees, it is mandatory to submit a Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) for the final assessment of the hiring requirements during the hiring process (link for more information). A fee will be charged for this. This obligation does not apply if the foreign university degree has already been assessed by an expert and is listed in the ANABIN database of the ZAB as an equivalent university degree (link to ANABIN database).
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology.
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life. It wants to promote equal career opportunities for women and men in particular and therefore urges qualified women to apply.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.
View this job advertisement as a PDF.