Acting in the capacity of the German national library of science and technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature. The services we offer in our capacity as a University Library ensure that Leibniz Universität Hannover is provided with items locally.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – German National Library of Science and Technology, Programme Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ
Research group leaders Web & Data Science (E 14 TV-L)
The ideal candidate holds a doctoral degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics or a related field and is able to combine theoretical and practical aspects in her work. The candidate is expected to build up her own research group and should have a track record in at least three (and be committed to expand to more) of the following areas:
- publication of research results in renowned, peer-reviewed journals and conferences of her field
- proven software engineering skills and the ability to develop mature software components beyond pure research prototypes
- successful supervision of bachelor, master and doctoral students
- collaboration with other research groups, industry, NGOs as well as open-source and community initiatives, for example, in the context of publicly funded collaborative research projects
- successfully competing for funding by national and international funding bodies
- transfer and commercialization of research results, for example, through open-source software or contractual research and development for public institutions, industry or other stakeholders
Due to the embedding of the group at Leibniz University of Hannover, Leibniz Information Center for Science & Technology (TIB) and L3S Research Center (L3S) particular emphasis will be on the successful transfer of research results into sustainable technologies, software components and services facilitating high-impact information services as well as societal and industrial applications. Fluent English communication skills are a fundamental requirement; command of German language is a plus.
Fields: The candidate should have a background in a field relevant for Web and Data Science, such as:
- Semantic technologies, linked data, knowledge graphs and ontology engineering
- Artificial intelligence, knowledge representation and machine learning
- Natural language processing and information retrieval
- Software engineering and modern application development
- Data management, integration and analysis
- Human-computer interaction and data visualization
Applications: The candidate should be interested to pursue applications of his research in areas including (but not limited to): digital libraries, data integration for science and technology, question answering, scholarly communication, E-learning, open science & crowdsourcing.
What we offer: We provide an scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centers being part of Leibniz research association. Our aim is to provide the environment and resources to make the research group leaders successful in their field.
- Research group leaders will have initially one or two PhD student positions assigned.
- There is funding available for equipment, conference and research visit travel and all costs required for a successful built-up of the research group.
- Possibility to pursue further academic qualifications such as habilitation and teaching experience
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including DBpedia, BigDataEurope Platform, OntoWiki, Qanary QA, SlideWiki etc.
- TIB/L3S are already engaged in a number of research projects at the national and European level
The positions start as soon as possible, are open until filled and will be granted initially for 3 years with envisioned extension for another 3 years and an option to make the position permanent thereafter.
How to apply: Please send your CV, two publications, 1-2 letters of reference and a two pages motivational statement (incl. research, funding and transfer ambitions) to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
You can also send your application by email bewerbungtibeu.
Please do not send emails larger than 10 MB. Questions regarding the positions can be addressed to the designated new director of TIB Prof. Dr. Sören Auer (soeren.auertibeu).
TIB provides ideal working conditions, and continuously takes action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned.
Application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.