As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology - Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Software engineer for research data (m/f/d)
to start at the earliest possible date.
The position is initially limited to 2 years with the aim of continuing the employment. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. Depending on the individual qualification (Bachelor/Master), the successful candidate will be assigned either to pay scale group 12 or 13 TV-L.
In cooperation with University Library Braunschweig, University and State Library Darmstadt as well as the Fraunhofer Information Center for Planning and Building, the TIB is setting up a specialist information service (FID) for the subject areas of civil engineering, architecture and urban studies, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
The FID BAUdigital is intended to support a widely ramified and increasingly interdisciplinary research community, which deals with the development of digital design, planning and production methods in the building industry. For this purpose, new service offers and web services will be developed and established infrastructure and service offers will be connected.
One focus of the project is the development of a web service platform that provides media and information services with a focus on digital methods and technologies in the construction industry and offers fast, up-to-date and location-independent access to and re-use of research information in accordance with the FAIR data principles.
Your tasks include
- Technical design, implementation and further development of a research platform for literature and other media formats
- Design and commissioning of a research data repository based on CKAN including configuration of metadata
- Development of a semantic-web-compatible technical vocabulary (technical thesaurus) and development of a web-based editor based on open source software
- Integration of the thesaurus data into the research platform and research data repository
- Development and implementation of research data workflows for digital long-term archiving in Java
- Successfully completed university degree (Bachelor or Master), preferably in a relevant field of study such as Engineering Sciences, Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics or comparable
- Very good knowledge in the development and operation of web service platforms based on modern programming languages (especially Java/PHP)
- Very good experience in the field of CI/CD
- Good experience with agile methods in software development
- Independent and structured way of working
- Proven ability to work in a team in the field of software development
- Strong communication and cooperation skills
- Very good English language skills; proficiency in German is a plus
- Practical experience in the development of Open Source projects
- Experience in providing software and data models for use in exploration, visualization and analysis of research data
- Knowledge of semantic technologies, data management and long-term archiving
What we offer
- Setup and further development of Open Source projects
- Agile working in a team according to the SCRUM method
- Working in the context of a national research and infrastructure project
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a supportive, attractive and versatile working environment
- Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-oriented field of activity
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life, such as mobile work, home office and remote work
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 12 or 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Axel Klinger (Chief Technology Officer) via E-Mail at Axel.Klingertibeu.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 33/2020 before August 19, 2020 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to Bewerbungtibeu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned, and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
We look forward to receiving your application!