The Open Science Lab explores the evolution towards digital, open and collaborative science. It also supports scientific communities by jointly developing and testing methods and software tools that are conducive to research activities.
The Job is part of a new project “NOA – The replication of open access images: development of a method for automatic harvesting, indexing and provision of open access images from technical subjects using the infrastructure of Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata”.
The Open Science Lab invites applications for the following position
Wikipedian in Residence
(Salary Scale E 13 TV-L)
The position is limited for a duration up to three years. The working week is 39.8 hours (full-time); part-time employment is possible.
Responsibilities and duties
You will support the OSL team in the following areas:
- Play a leading role in the conceptual design of harvesting Open Access articles issued by various publishers
- Extract textual content and images from the articles
- Model articles and images in Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata
- Collaborate with Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts (which applies content mining and machine learning methods to the articles and images.)
- Collaborate with the international Wikimedia community
- An academic university degree (Master or comparable)
- Experience in collaborating in Wikimedia projects, particularly Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons or Wikidata
- Active knowledge of the English language
- Willingness to undertake business trips
- Experience in academic publishing, ideally having published several English language articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Experience in community-driven Open Source software development projects in the academic environment
- Knowledge of script languages such as Python, Lua, R and/or frameworks for developing WikiBots for MediaWiki
- Knowledge of JATS/XML, SPARQL and Lucene Solr and/or Elasticsearch
- Interest in data management and metadata modelling, Open Access, Open Source and general Open Science topics as well as Wikimedia projects
- A high degree of self-organisation and experience in working independently
- Interest in the conceptual and creative processing of complex topics
What we offer
- Salaries will be based on TV-L.
- In 2016 TIB has been awarded the certificate of the audit „Beruf und Familie” as family-friendly employer for the fifth time.
For any questions about the project and the job, please contact Lambert Heller, +49 511 7625348, email lambert.hellertibeu.
As an equal opportunities employer, Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) intends to promote women and man in the context of statutory requirements. Application by qualified individuals of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged. Equallyqualified applicants with disabilities will be given preferential tretment.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Complete applications should be send with the subject 37/2016 before 12th August 2016 to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Frau Petra Mühl-Beulke
Welfengarten 1 B
Please submit your electronic application in PDF format as a single merged file to bewerbungtibeu.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned.
Application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.