As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Postdoctoral Researcher in the area of Scientific Data Management and Knowledge Graphs (m/f/d)
to join the Scientific Data Management Group (Prof. Dr. Maria-Esther Vidal) at the earliest possible opportunity.
The position is initially limited to 3 years with envisioned extension. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. The remuneration is based on pay scale group 14 TV-L.
We are looking for an ambitious researcher aiming to build a successful track-record in science and technology in the context of knowledge graph technologies and contributing to strategic research and technology goals of TIB and the joint-lab with Leibniz University Hannover.
Research projects around the world produce a tide of data every day. The potential lies primarily in connecting the pieces of information and extends far beyond the individual project results. This position is part of a research project called “A Framework for Knowledge Graphs based on Semantic Integration, Representation and Curation of Scientific Data to enable Trustable and Interpretable Knowledge Exploration and Discovery (TrustKG)” funded by the Leibniz Association. The project TrustKG will develop computational methods for transforming biomedical data into semantically rich and linked knowledge graphs. These methods will enable interpretable large-scale data integration to empower Artificial Intelligence with semantic descriptions and transparency. The project will use these computational tools as building blocks for supporting individual treatment approaches in lung and breast cancer and for Covid-19 patients.
Your tasks will focus on
The candidate is expected to take a leading role in the research group and to conduct research closely together with Prof. (Univ. Simón Bolívar) Dr. Maria-Esther Vidal in the context of knowledge graphs and the TrustKG project. It is expected that you have experience in at least three of the following areas:
- Publication of research results in renowned, peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- Experience and interest in leading research teams
- Proven software engineering skills and the ability to lead the development of mature software components beyond pure research prototypes
- Successful supervision of bachelor, master and doctoral students
- Collaboration with other research groups, industry, NGOs as well as open-source and community initiatives, for example in the context of publicly funded collaborative research projects
- Successfully competing for funding by national, European and international funding bodies
The ideal candidate holds a doctoral degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics or a related field and is able to combine theoretical and practical aspects in his/her work. The candidate should have a strong background in a field relevant for Web and Data Science, such as:
- Databases, query processing and data integration
- Semantic technologies, linked data and ontology engineering
- Knowledge graph creation and representation
- Knowledge representation, logic databases and causality models
- Natural language processing and information retrieval
- Software engineering and modern application development
Fluent English communication skills are a fundamental requirement; command of the German language is a plus.
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world's leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- The successful candidate will work in the context of national, European or international research and innovation projects
- A portfolio of technology components to build on in the area of Life Sciences, including SDM-RDF, FALCON, Medical Knowledge Graph, ORKG, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-oriented field of activity with a focus on the common good
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work and remote work options
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 14 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment as well as 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Prof. Dr. Maria-Esther Vidal, head of the Scientific Data Management Group, by mail at Maria.Vidaltibeu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 49/2021 before August 31, 2021 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbungtibeu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology.
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life. It wants to promote equal career opportunities for women and men in particular and therefore urges qualified women to apply.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.