As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. With the Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG), we are working to revolutionise the exchange and use of scientific knowledge in the digital age.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Backend developer in the field of Research Data Management (m/f/d)
to work in the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Digital Libraries of the TIB and the L3S Research Center under the supervision of Dr. Javad Chamanara and Prof. Dr. Sören Auer at the next possible date.
The position is initially limited until 30th September 2025 with an envisioned extension. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is suitable for part-time work only to a limited extent. If the personal requirements are met, the remuneration will be based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
Scope of work
The position is vacant in the context of a multinational research project funded by the European Union (EU) called DataBri-X (Data Process & Technological Bricks for expanding digital value creation in European Data Spaces).
Your main task is to design, implement, test, and publish a web application backend (called JenPlane Process Designer) that enables users to interact with a visual project planning tool to plan a data management project. The application is UI intensive and offers an immerse visual interaction. It provides a multi-user collaborative working environment. The backend is a REST based API server that stores and exchanges data in JSON and RDF formats using respective technology stack such as MongoDB and GraphDB.
Your tasks include
- Refine, design, implement, test, and publish the various features of the JenPlane Process Designer web application.
- Responsibility for ensuring maintainable and scalable code for robustness and reliability.
- Writing and maintaining unit tests so that quality is maintained and adhered to functional requirements.
- Peer-reviewing code from team members.
- Participation in Product Backlog Refinement sessions to formulate user stories by clarifying the technical details.
- Development of demos, prototypes and presentations.
- Participation and presentation in multi-party meetings as well as external events.
- You have successfully completed an academic university education (Master's degree or equivalent) in a relevant field of study such as computer science or a comparable field or you have at least five years of relevant professional experience in backend development.
- Solid experience in employing web backend technologies (Python, Flask, Django, REST).
- Understanding and knowledge about web concepts (Session handling, CORS).
- Familiarity with web security, testing web applications (Unit tests, E2E tests), JS Tooling (compiler, linter).
- Familiarity with collaborative web-based apps like e. g. Google docs.
- Strong experience in using Git, Github, or Gitlab including committing, pushing, branching, merging, pull requests and issue management.
- Strong experience in using REST APIs and interacting with them mainly via JSON (RDF is a plus).
- Strong analytical mindset, creativity, teamwork and communication skills are required.
- Passion to write clean code and the ability to write high quality documentation, technical reports and presentation material.
- Very good written and spoken English skills are necessary.
Desirable additions to your profile
- Experiences in data-based application design including RDBMS and document stores. Familiarity with Triple stores (RDF stores) is an asset.
- Experience in working with agile development methods such as Scrum is desirable (but not a prerequisite).
- Familiarity with RDF is an asset.
- German language skills are an advantage, but not necessary.
What we offer
Our mission is to keep rethinking and innovating the provision and use of research data and information. In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to advance your career in a sizable, dynamic and excellent environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association. TIB collaborates closely with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world’s leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge. Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open, creative and fun work atmosphere.
Furthermore, we offer
- A job in the public service oriented towards the common good on the basis of the collective agreement for the public service of the German states (TV-L) with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L, provided that the personal requirements necessary for classification in pay scale group 13 TV-L are met. Depending on the personal requirements (e. g. lack of a completed relevant university degree), an assignment to the next lower pay group 12 TV-L may be made.
- A special annual payment at the end of the year and 30 days of vacation per year with a five-day working week.
- Flexible working time models (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work and remote work options.
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hannover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment.
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL).
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover.
- A varied, independent and future-oriented field of activity.
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org, among others.
- Funding of the necessary technical equipment as well as conference and research visits.
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Dr. Javad Chamanara by mail at Javad.Chamanaratibeu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 54/2022 before September 29, 2022 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbungtibeu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
In the case of foreign university degrees, it is mandatory to submit a Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) for the final assessment of the hiring requirements during the hiring process (link for more information). A fee will be charged for this. This obligation does not apply if the foreign university degree has already been assessed by an expert and is listed in the ANABIN database of the ZAB as an equivalent university degree (link to ANABIN database).
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 600 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology.
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.
For more information about the TIB, please visit: www.tib.eu/en/