As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Software Developer for the Open Science Lab (m/f/d)
to join at the earliest possible opportunity.
The position can be occupied with a regular weekly working time of 19.90 hours (part-time) and limited for 24 months or alternatively with 39.80 hours (full-time) and limited for 12 months. The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Depending on your qualification (Bachelor’s/Master’s degree) and the assigned tasks and responsibilities, you will be classified in either pay scale group 12 or 13 TV-L.
The Open Science Lab (OSL) at TIB is concerned with the development towards a digital, open and collaborative science and supports scientific institutions and communities by developing and testing methods and software tools together with them that are useful for research activities.
One focus of its work is the support and technical development of the projects carried out by TIB in the area of open research information, especially on the basis of the open source software VIVO. This includes further development in coordination with the VIVO community and in line with VIVO activities at TIB, as well as collaboration in projects such as ConDIDI and GESAH.
Your tasks will focus on
- Conception, development and administration of software in the field of Open Science, research information and research information systems (RIS)
- Implementation of services based on the open source research information system VIVO
- Supporting TIB partner institutions in RIS activities
- Participation in open source projects and in committees in the field of open science and research information
- Successfully completed university degree (Bachelor/FH-Diploma or Master/University-Diploma or equivalent) in a relevant field of study, preferably in computer science or a related field
- High degree of self-organisation and independent working skills
- Very good written and spoken English skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Good knowledge of data aggregation, integration and transformation
- Willingness to learn new technologies and languages
- Practical experience in the development and use of web services
Desired additions to your profile
- Knowledge of semantic web/linked data technologies (SPARQL, RDF)
- Interest in working in a research and library environment
- Knowledge of version management systems based on Git
- Knowledge of CI/CD workflows based on GitLab, Ansible and Docker
What we offer
The German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB) develops open services and infrastructures in the field of Open Science (e. g. Open Access, Open Data, Open Educational Resources) and increasingly relies on the development and use of Open Source Software products.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-oriented field of activity with a focus on the common good
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 12 or 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Christian Hauschke, Open Science Lab, by mail at Christian.Hauschketibeu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 75/2021 before 19th November 2021 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to Bewerbungtibeu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please indicate in the subject of your application which job exchange brought our offer to your attention.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned, and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
View this job advertisement as a PDF.